Alkeme – Behind the Scene
Describe your business?
- We are a family owned and operated food manufacturing company in Rossland, BC. Our hearts are dedicated to providing healthy foods that keep personal health and planetary health top of mind.
What inspired you to start your business?
- The lack of truly delicious and healthy foods in the marketplace that also keep the environment and social issues as part of their decision making process.
Why did you choose to open your business in the Kootenays?
- For the Love of the Kootenays! We changed our lives to be here, left the city and our corporate lives behind for a new path. You could say that the Kootenays and all of the amazing people that live here inspired the creation of Alkeme. The passion for recreation, health and planetary well being reverberates through our communities and we are thrilled to bring that inspiration through as we build Alkeme.
What prepared you for your business/field?
- First off, the love of food, people, and the planet! As we identified the need for change in the food system we knew we wanted to dive in to make a positive mark on the industry. Our past lives were spent in the corporate world overseeing various areas such as Marketing, Product Development, Financial Strategy, and Sales. And although these don’t directly relate to our cooking skills they greatly inform our ability to grow and expand our business.
How does your business impact the community?
- We are working greatly to expand our business to support job growth in the area. We recently built out our production space to further expand our market and as we begin to grow we greatly look forward to adding long term employment positions and become a place for careers to flourish and grow.
How do you ensure excellent customer service?
- We guarantee all of our products! And have an Account Management team at the ready to ensure all of your questions and concerns are addressed promptly.
How do you choose the products you sell?
- Based on the community needs. For example, our Gluten Free Sourdough Bread line was inspired by the RSS Christmas Market and customers asking if we offered Gluten Free Breads that were free of so many of the chemical preservatives that are generally found in GF products. It wasn’t a product at the time but as we learned more of what our community needed, we simply got to cooking!
What’s in store for the future?
- More products to come, we hope to cross each aisle of the grocery store as we grow! More online products through our website from other like-minded producers! Sustainable/Compostable Packaging and Bulk Options for low-waste packaging!